At the end of the 19th century, the northeast part of what is now Shoreview was rural, with few roads and few people. There were enough children, however, to build a schoolhouse at the southeast corner of Turtle Lake and Hodgson Roads. In 1895, about 20 students, in grades 1-8, began attending the new school, No. 35, soon called Turtle Lake School after the nearby lake.
An outdated facility and low enrollment closed the school in the late 40s.
The Baby Boom and post-war construction in the 50s created a need for a new school in the area. In 1957, a new Turtle Lake School was completed on the site where the present school sits.
In the early 1980s, declining enrollment once again threatened to close the school. Many argued that land surrounding the school was sure to be developed, and their point was soon proven! By 1987, the building was able to accommodate only three grade levels, and construction of a 60,000 square foot addition began. In 2002-03, renovations to address air quality issues were made.
The one-room school of the past, with one teacher and a couple dozen students is today a 90,000 square foot building with over 900 students, supported by over 120 full and part-time staff members.
While there are many differences, children 100 years ago played, wondered, discovered, and grew much like the children who face the 21st century.